24 May 2010

Fresh Summer Skin

I've received the question: "How do you keep your skin so fresh during the hot summer months?" several times. My key is keeping it minimal. I am a sweater (yes eeewww gross), and for me lotions and foundations are not good.

My summer time skin regimen is very simple, and quite inexpensive. I've been using this regimen since I was a teenager and can count on one hand the times I have had breakouts during the past fifteen years. I use the equate brand of cold cream to wash my face before bed each night, followed by three cotton balls of rubbing alcohol to get all the residual dirt and make up off, then if I need to I have started using Aveeno Simply Radiant moisturizer. I never use foundations during the summer time unless I am going somewhere at night and I know I will be in air conditioning, for me there is nothing worse than putting on foundation, going outside, sweating, and having it cake and crack...so gross!

My morning skin care routine for summer time is quite similar to the night time routine, skipping the rubbing alcohol unless I am oily or sweat during the night. I usually forgo the moisturizer as well.

Remember, right now your skin is adjusting from winter dryness to summer time humidity and heat. Baby your skin during this time and take time to do something special for your skin once a week. I enjoy mud masks on my face, and use the St. Ives products when I want to do something special for my face.

When washing your face, don't overkill with scrubbing. You should rub cleanser into your face for no more than 15 seconds and rinse with warm water.

Baby your face, as you get older you will be grateful you did.

Now,let's move on south from the face. I become very reptileish during the summer months, kind of scaly, most likely because I am constantly in chlorine or salt water and dry off via Mr. Sun! Bath and Body Works has sugar scrubs I absolutely love, they exfoliate the skin wonderfully (sugar scrubs are better than salt scrubs because if you have a scratch on your legs the sugar doesn't sting like the salt does). Exfoliating prior to shaving opens your pores and allows shaving to be more effective. After I exfoliate and shave and do all else I need to do in the shower, I apply moisturizer before I am completely dry, doing so allows the moisturizer to be sealed into the skin and I tend to have less scaliness. I recommend Nivea Firming Gradual Self Tanner, it has a wonderful scent, moisturizes terrific, and it tans gradually so it won't leave streaks...I love it, I love the added color that no matter makes me feel a little sexier.

Take care of your skin in the summer, wear lotion with a little spf to protect it from harmful rays, and enjoy showing it off!

No comments: