02 May 2010

It's even in magazines!

InStyleImage by Andreanna Moya Photography via Flickr
I was reading the May issue of InStyle, a magazine that I think combines both high and low end looks fairly successfully, when I stumbled across an article that capitulates what we're talking about here!  Mom's need makeovers!  It's not for other people, though there are critics who will always argue that fashion is "for other people" but rather for yourself and to remind you that, yes, there still is YOU under all that grub.  While the writer obviously has a budget that I don't have for new clothing right now she did manage some practical tips.

  1. Shop your closet.  This is a no brainer but try everything on.  Put different outfits together.  You might surprise yourself with what you actually still have that's fashionable or can be updated with an accessory or two.
  2. Start with little things.  If you can't afford a full on hair cut, coloring session, go in for a cheaper trim, and pick up a box of hair color that's the same shade as what you've already got. (If you have longer or thicker hair, you will need two boxes.)  Fresh color and even a trim can work magic on feeling dull.
  3. Wear LESS makeup, but MORE consciously.  Practice a new look that has you pulled together and feeling confident, fast.  Go in and get a free makeover at a makeup counter.  Tell them what your lifestyle is and what kind of "look" you want to achieve on a regular basis.  Sometimes having a professional tell you how to get that "natural glow" is worth the time and then you can recreate the look, no matter what your makeup budget is.
  4. Also do other little things.  Don't like wearing full on nail polish but your nails and cuticles are in shreds?  Once a week, file and shape your nails, put on a clear nail strengthener and then everynight before bed, use some heavy duty hand cream and/or cuticle oil.
  5. Sell or donate what doesn't fit you.  Don't live for "but when I'm a size 6 again!!!!"  Dress for who you are now, be it size 00 or 16.
  6. Create what you call you "uniform".  "The uniform" is unfailing.  It will get you though even the most fashion bleary days.  My personal uniform, now that it's spring, is a variety of black 3/4 sleeve tees, some lighter cardigans in bold splashy prints, and trouser jeans or trouser cut capris, and flats.  Small jewelry.  Your "uniform" should reflect the lifestyle you lead but take it one step up.  I may be a SAHM that freelance writes, but I take my kids places and I have my own meetings and life too.  So I choose things that suit me, work well in a few different settings and that can handle getting down and dirty with the kids.
  7. Always have yourself in mind and not others.  If you dress to make yourself happy and confident, others will notice and take note or even complement you.  Case in point- yesterday I threw on trouser cut capris, black flats, a purple cami, and a purple & pink print cardigan.  I did my hair, put on a bit of makeup and threw on a necklace and bracelet.  Then I spritzed a bit of perfume on.  The first thing out of my husbands mouth, my husband who doesn't say a whole lot about my clothes? "Wow, you look great!  Let's go!"  I even got a little kiss and a pat on the tushie, so I'm thinking he was happy I took care of me.

    What can you do to start feeling better about you today?

    Signing off,

    Sara Rose

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: